Have you found some old 200 lire coins in an old drawer at home or in a forgotten piggy bank? Did you know that our readers often ask us which 200 lire coins are rare and what their value is? That’s why we wrote this article, just to answer your questions.
Let’s find out the value of the 200 lire and the 200 lire rare and all the 200 lire commemorative coins.
In fact, among the two hundred lira minted, we can remember:
- the “PROVA” coin of 1977
- coins in circulation from 1977 to 2001
- commemorative coins from 1980 to 1999.
The rarest coin among the 200 lire, let’s say right away, is the 200 Lire PROVA of 1977, besides some variants with errors of the following years that we will discover later.
Let us now begin to trace the history and analyse the value of these coins. The first 200 lire coins were put into circulation in 1977. They have a diameter of 2.4 cm and weigh approximately 5 grams.
As already mentioned in this article on the cleaning of coins, the two hundred lira coins of the Italian Republic are minted in Bronzital, a particular bronze alloy composed of Copper and Aluminium, to which Nickel was also added after 1968.
It was in 1977 that the story of this coin began…
- The Rarest 200 Lire PROVA Coins
- 200 Lire 1977 – Lavoro
- 200 Lire Commemorative Coins
- 200 Lire 1980 – FAO
- 200 Lire 1981 – Alimentazione
- 200 Lire 1989 – Arsenale di Taranto
- 200 Lire 1990 – Consiglio di Stato
- 200 Lire 1992 – Filatelia Tematica
- 200 Lire 1993 – Aeronautica Militare
- 200 Lire 1994 – Arma dei Carabinieri
- 200 Lire 1996 – Accademia Guardia di Finanza
- 200 Lire 1997 – Lega Navale Italiana
- 200 Lire 1999 – Carabinieri
- Table with the value of all 200 Commemorative Lire Coins
- Frequently Asked Questions about 200 lire coins
The Rarest 200 Lire PROVA Coins
A separate discussion should be made for the 200 lire rare PROVA of 1977. The coin is graded as a rare coin R.
It was initially minted, with a circulation of 1,500 pieces, as a trial version, which later became the definitive version. It is distinguished by the presence of the small inscription PROVA on the reverse of the coin. A rare lira in all respects.
It is this trial version of the 1977 200 lire that has the greatest value on the collectors’ market.
Value of rare 200 lire 1977 PROVA
As only 1,500 examples were minted, nothing compared to the 15,900,000 two hundred lira coins issued in 1977, the value of these particular rare 200 lira coins may be very high.
- Obviously it is the state of preservation of the coin that determines its final value, so for a 200 Lira Work Proof in qFDC or FDC quality you can get up to 850€.
- If it is of SPL (Splendid) quality, the value naturally drops to around €400.
Given the very limited circulation, it is rare to come across these rare 200 lire proofs. Having said that, however, it is always a good idea to take a careful look at the 200 lire of 1977 that we still have at home or that we might find with the metal detector, a surprise is always possible!
200 Lire 1977 – Lavoro
The obverse of this first 200 lire coin depicts a woman’s head looking to the right, with the signature of the author M. Vallucci at the bottom and the words REPUBBLICA ITALIANA on the outside.
On the reverse there is the value 200 Lira inserted in a gear to symbolise work, hence the name 200 Lira Lavoro, while at the bottom there is the mint mark R and the mintage thousandth.
Value of 200 lire 1977
- Despite the fact that the 200 lire 1977 is the first one issued, it is not classified as a rare coin, but as a common coin due to the high circulation. That is why their current value, depending on their state of preservation, is around 0.50€.
200 Lire 1978 – Mezzaluna (Half-moon)
In 1978 the 200 lire Work continued to be issued with a circulation of 461,034,000, so the value of the 200 lire 1978 is not very high, about 3€ if FDC.
An exception to these low prices are the famous two hundred lira ” half-moon under the neck “. But what are they?
Due to a flaw in the minting, some of the 200 lire of 1978 show a small crescent moon on the obverse, below the neck of the woman depicted.
This minting error, as it always happens, causes the value of these particular 200 lire coins to increase. In 1978 there were even two breaks in the minting, in the same place, resulting in two types of 200 “crescent” lira of the same value.
Value of 200 lire 1978 – Mezzaluna
- A 200 lire 1978 mezzaluna of BB quality already reaches a value of 60€.Il valore sale a 110€ euro se Spl
- And about 200€ for those few coins in FDC quality.
200 Lire 1979
As for the 200 lire 1979 Lavoro, these were regularly minted in 437,325,000 examples. However, it seems that there are 3 variants:
- The “Normal” type
- The “No Sign” type, Some specimens are missing the engraver’s signature.
- The “Bold head” can be due to two different errors: wear on the minting die or obstruction of the minting die, both of which are quite common for the type of presses used.
Care must therefore be taken not to confuse a normal 1979 coin with a head worn down by circulation with the above-mentioned minting error.
Value of 200 lire 1979
- Una 200 lire 1979 Testa Pelata in qualità FDC può raggiungere prezzi elevati, anche se il suo valore reale si attesta intorno a 140€.
- Valgono 90€ le 200 lire del 1979 Senza Firma dell’incisore.
Now, if you have rare coins like these (but also different rarer coins), you can have fun and earn some money by auctioning them online. We always buy and sell coins at auction using this partner site. It is the largest online coin auction site and we really recommend it. Both selling and buying coins at auction is easy and exciting.
Table with values of 200 lire
This is the table showing the values and print-runs of the 200 lire Lavoro coins year by year from 1977 to 2001. The table includes both rare and common coins, minting errors and variants. The value of the coin is Brilliant Uncirculated..
200 Lire Commemorative Coins
Here are the 200 Commemorative Lira Coins, there are several and all minted between 1980 and 1999. (Not to be confused with the 200 Lira Silver Commemorative).
Commemorative 200 lire have been dedicated over the years to various military, political and cultural institutions:
- 1980 – 200 lire FAO
- 1981 – 200 lire Alimentazione
- 1989 – 200 lire Arsenale di Taranto
- 1990 – 200 lire Consiglio di Stato
- 1992 – 200 lire Filatelia Tematica
- 1993 – 200 lire Aeronautica Militare
- 1994 – 200 lire Carabinieri
- 1996 – 200 lire Guardia di Finanza
- 1997 – 200 lire Lega Navale
- 1999 – 200 lire Patrimonio Artistico dei Carabinieri
200 Lire 1980 – FAO
In 1980, the first of the 200-Lira commemorative coins was minted, with a circulation of 48,242,728 pieces. The 200 Lira 1980 FAO coin was dedicated to International Women’s Day.
The obverse of this 200 lire coin depicts the bust of Maria Montessori with the signature of the engraver Sergio Giandomenico at the bottom, and the inscription REPUBBLICA ITALIANA around it.
On the reverse side is the image of a woman with a child reading a book, behind them the year 1980. In the background are engraved the terrestrial meridians and parallels and a spade is placed near the woman. There is also a value indication and the inscriptions VALORIZZAZIONE DELLA DONNA at the top and FAO at the bottom.
Value of 200 lire 1980
- This two hundred lira commemorative 1980 FAO coin was in fact minted on the occasion of International Women’s Day and FAO activities. This two hundred lira coin, however, although in good condition has a price of 2€.
200 Lire 1981 – Alimentazione
In 1981, the 200 lire 1981 Food, another commemorative 200 lire in bronzital was issued, in this case to mark International Food Day and FAO activities.
On the obverse, the engraver Guido Veroi has depicted Villa Lubin, the headquarters of the National Institute of Agriculture, with the inscription REPUBBLICA ITALIANA and a star at the bottom centre.
On the reverse side is the image of a woman with a cornucopia surrounded by symbols of agriculture and the words GIORNATA MONDIALE DELL’ALIMENTAZIONE – 16 OTT – FAO.
Value of 200 lire 1981 Alimentazione
- The 200 Lire 1981 Alimentazione has an FDC value of 2€.
200 Lire 1989 – Arsenale di Taranto
We have to wait until 1989 to find a new commemorative 200 lira coin in bronzital. The 200 Lira 1989 Arsenale di Taranto was issued on the occasion of the First Centenary of the Naval Arsenal of Taranto.
It presents the usual 200 lire woman’s face to the obverse.
The reverse of this 200 lira coin depicts the sailing ship “Amerigo Vespucci” and the buildings of the Taranto Arsenal. Above the design are the dates 1889-1989 and on the outside the words ‘CENTENARIO DELL’ARSENALE MILITARE DI TARANTO’.
Value of 200 lire 1989
- The price of the 200 Lira 1989 Taranto Arsenal, if in perfect condition, is around 2€.
200 Lire 1990 – Consiglio di Stato
In 1990, on the occasion of the centenary of the IVth Section of the Council of State, a new commemorative 200 lire coin in bronzital was issued.
The obverse depicts the usual female head.
On the reverse side there is the engraved seat of the Council of State, Palazzo Spada, and the words CONSIGLIO DI STATO at the top, IV SEZIONE and 1890-1990 in the centre above the roof of the building, L. 200 at the bottom centre with the R of the Rome Mint above and the signature of the engraver DRIUTTI below.
Value of 200 lire 1990 – Consiglio di Stato
- The 200 lire 1990 Consiglio di Stato is worth 2€ in FDC.
200 Lire 1992 – Filatelia Tematica
On the occasion of the World Exhibition of Thematic Philately in Genoa in 1992, a new commemorative 200 lire bronzital coin was issued, the 200 lire 1992 Filatelia Tematica.
The obverse is unchanged from the normal 200 lire in circulation.
On the obverse, the central part of the coin is divided into two semicircles. In the upper semicircle, on a striped background, three sails stand out. In the lower semicircle there is a stylisation of three waves with the date 1992 and the R of the Rome mint on the left and the signature of the author GROSSI on the right. Underneath the inscription GENOVA ’92 and all around the inscription ESPOSIZIONE MONDIALE DI FILATELIA TEMATICA L. 200.
Value of 200 lire 1992 – Filatelia Tematica
- The value of these 200 lire 1992 Filatelia is around 2€.
200 Lire 1993 – Aeronautica Militare
The 200 Lira 1993 Aeronautica Militare is dedicated to the 70th anniversary of the Air Force. The 200 Lira 1993 Aeronautica Militare is also made in bronzital.
The obverse depicts the face of the circulating 200 lire coins.
The coin’s obverse is divided into four quadrants. Inside the quadrants are the coats of arms of the first four squadrons formed during the First World War. The inscription on the outside reads 70° AERONAUTICA MILITARE 1923-1993. In the lower part of the left-hand dial, the year 1993 and the R of the Rome mint are engraved, as well as the signatures of the authors ZANELLI and GROSSI.
Value of 200 lire 1993 – Aeronautica Militare
- Like the other 200 lire commemorative coins, the 200 lire 1993 Aeronautica Militare is also worth 2€.
200 Lire 1994 – Arma dei Carabinieri
The 200 Lira 1994 Arma dei Carabinieri came into circulation in 1994 to celebrate the 180th anniversary of the Carabinieri. Minted in bronzital like the others.
The obverse is engraved with the face of the Italian Republic in 200 lire.
The centre of the obverse of this coin depicts the coat of arms of the Carabinieri, the inscription in Roman numerals CLXXX and the motto NEI SECOLI FEDELE. The outer ring bears the inscription ARMA DEI CARABINIERI and the dates 1814 – 1994.
Value of 200 lire 1994 – Arma dei Carabinieri
- The 200 Lira 1994 Arma dei Carabinieri is priced at around €2.
200 Lire 1996 – Accademia Guardia di Finanza
We now have the commemorative 200 Lira 1996 for the centenary of the Guardia di Finanza Academy. The 200 Lira 1996 Accademia Guardia di Finanza are made in bronzitel.
The obverse depicts the Royal Palace of Caserta, the first seat of the Academy, and the current seat in Bergamo, separated by a ribbon with the inscription REPUBBLICA ITALIANA. At the bottom of the coin is the signature of the engraver DRIUTTI.
Also on the obverse the coin is divided into two parts by a ribbon with the value L.200 stamped on it. In the lower part there is a cap and a small sword, in the upper part there is the coat of arms of the Guardia di Finanza with the date 1896. On the outside of the 200 lire is the inscription CENTENARIO DELL’ACCADEMIA DELLA GUARDIA DI FINANZA and a star.
Value of 200 lire 1996 – Accademia Guardia di Finanza
- The 200 lire 1996 Accademia Guardia di Finanza costs 2€.
200 Lire 1997 – Lega Navale Italiana
The 200 Lira 1997 Lega Navale Italiana is minted in bronzital for the 100th Anniversary of its foundation in 1897.
On the obverse side of the 200 lire commemorative coin of 1997, the usual female profile returns.
The reverse depicts the Coat of Arms of the Italian Naval League with a sailing ship sailing in the background with the mint symbol of Rome R on the right. On the sides the dates 1897 and 1997, below left 200 and right LIRE. On the top right the signature of Ettore Lorenzo Frapiccini, author of the design.
Value of 200 lire 1997 – Lega Navale Italiana
- The 200 Lira 1997 Lega Navale is now worth €3.
200 Lire 1999 – Carabinieri
The 200 Lira 1999 Patrimonio Artistico dei Carabinieri is the last commemorative 200 Lira coin to be minted. It was dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the Carabinieri’s Artistic Heritage Protection Unit.
The obverse depicts the profile of a woman from the 200 circulating on the left and the inscription REPVBBLICA ITALIANA with the signature of the author M. VALLUCCI underneath.
The coin’s obverse depicts the Carabinieri’s coat of arms and Donatello’s David. The arched inscription on two lines reads: CARABINIERI – TUTELA PATRIMONIO ARTISTICO. At the top there are the dates 1969 – 1999 and below there is the value of L.200.
Value of 200 lire 1999 – Carabinieri
- The 200 Lira 1999 Patrimonio Artistico dei Carabinieri are worth €4.
Table with the value of all 200 Commemorative Lire Coins
Here is the table with all the values and the circulation of the Commemorative 200 Lire coins divided by years.
Frequently Asked Questions about 200 lire coins
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Check out these topics about lira coins:
- Here you can find out everything about the 1 lira coin, 2 lira coin, 5 lire coin, 10 lire coins , 20 lire and 50-lira coins.
- The 10 lira cents are here, the 20 lira cents here, and the 50 lira cents here.
- If you are looking for the 1 cent lira coin, look here and here on the 2 cent rare lira and 5 cent lira.
- Look here If you want infos about the 100 Lire coins and also the value of the 1000 Lira of the Italian Republic.
- We have discussed the 200 lire coins and their value here.
- We have talked about Telephone Tokens worth 200 lire on this page.
- We also talked about the 500 silver lira coins, the 500 bimetallic lira and the 500 lire banknotes.